/* added the script below */ /* added the script above */

dead keys society

Jun's online journal of mindless rants as well as feeble attempts on short story writing and other forms of literature (if you can call it that).

Thursday, June 15, 2006

Growing Old

I went out to dinner the other day and I saw a sight that showed me an example of human frailty, loving affection, deep care and friendship. Something that's a rarity nowadays. But it was something that brought a lump to my throat as I witness it unfolding right in front on my eyes.

I was sitting there having gotten my plate and was slowly munching on my food when this elderly couple came in and was walking towards a table right across me. They must have been in their late 70s or 80s. The old lady is bent over probably due to multiple sclerosis. One can see that she's having a tough time trying to get to their table. Beside him is the elderly gentleman. I say gentleman because that's how he came across to me. He held her other hand as she inched slowly towards the table and pulled the chair for her so she can take her seat. She smiled as she sat down. He waited on her side and asked her what she wanted. After a brief exchange with her, he gave her a kiss in the cheek and proceeded to the buffett to gather her food for her.

One can see that he too is having trouble walking but he went to the buffet table to get their food. The waitress offered to help but he declined with a smile that showed he's got things covered. He sat down across the old lady to enjoy their food. They smiled at each other and you can see a twinkle on their eyes when they talk. Like there's not a care in the world.

It was like two eyes, two minds, two hearts beating as one at that one moment. He smiled, she blushed. The world around them began to notice. And they didn't mind at all.

I'm reminded of how fragile life is and how it should it be enjoyed.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Blogger The Little Teapot said...

hey jun. heygee here, dunno if you still remember me. it's been years, can't believe you never left the net. hehe. nice blog.

7:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home