/* added the script below */ /* added the script above */

dead keys society

Jun's online journal of mindless rants as well as feeble attempts on short story writing and other forms of literature (if you can call it that).

Sunday, September 16, 2007

Round Rock Doughnuts and Dried Fish

Not exactly the combination you want to eat for breakfast but I should say it was interesting. For those who don't know, Round Rock Doughnuts have been ranked on the top ten doughnuts in the good old USA. Dunkin' Doughnuts and Krispy Kreme are both not in that list. I'm not sure if Round Rock Doughnuts are limited only in the Central Texas area but if you get the chance to try them, you should. It has this sourdough texture to them that makes it more appealing to the palate.

But anyway, I woke up early this morning and thought that I'd whip up something for breakfast. I rummaged through the pantry and the refrigerator to see what was available and saw this pack of dried fish I got from an oriental store in Houston last weekend. Together with some longanisa, I fired up the grill to cook outside. The reason for that is I didn't want to cook the dried fish inside the house least it'll stink for the rest of the day. Everyone knows dried fish smells but the pleasure of eating it makes it worthwhile.

So there I was finishing up on cooking the longanisa and dried fish when my neighbor peeked from his side of the fence asking what I was grilling at so early in the morning. I should say it was too early for her to be awake checking out the neighbors too. But we're good neighbors. I told her what it was and even offered some for her but she declined. She did mentioned the longanisa smelled good. I guess that offset the smell of the dried fish.

Hunkering for something sweet, I drove out to get the Round Rock Doughnuts. Took me less than 15 minutes to get some and be back to finish preparing the breakfast feast. I also made some fried rice from last night's leftover rice and had the coffee pot ready. I wanted to prepare some sunny side-up eggs but I think I was already overdoing it. So I stopped.

Then I sat down with some good company to enjoy the morning's feast. Nothing tops a good breakfast, good company and great conversation to begin the day.

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gotta try that one. :)

6:13 AM  
Blogger jc smith said...

Hey! I've just written about you in my blog

2:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home