/* added the script below */ /* added the script above */

dead keys society

Jun's online journal of mindless rants as well as feeble attempts on short story writing and other forms of literature (if you can call it that).

Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Carpe Diem!

Seize The Day! I always thought that sounded cool. Anyone that can quote a line made up of Latin words just seemed educated and well-travelled. No matter if its just something that was taken off a poster, a book or even from a cereal box. Often times, the person uttering such words don't even know what they mean. But just the same, they say it like they know it.

I think Latin should be offered more in schools as part of the elective curriculum. Not that it has some major applications in the business world compared to learning Spanish, Chinese Mandarin or Chinese Canton. That's why I'm saying it should be offered as an elective subject so that kids can choose it in lieu of another option.

Learning another language is fun. And when you get the hang of it, you can actually associate words across them. Think of pig-latin. It might prove useful later on when you have kids and you don't want them to know that you are bringing them to the doctor for their regular scheduled shots. I know I would have appreciated that when I was growing up and my mom and dad would spell out words. I just knew I was in for something I know I won't like.

So before I go, let me impart a Latin phrase I love to mutter every now and then. Carpe Burrito! That's right, you read it correct. That will prove useful for you when you are hungry.

Seize The Burrito!

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home