/* added the script below */ /* added the script above */

dead keys society

Jun's online journal of mindless rants as well as feeble attempts on short story writing and other forms of literature (if you can call it that).

Monday, September 24, 2007

Apples and Oranges

You can't compare apples and oranges. That's one of my favorite expressions and I'm sure everyone, if not most people, have heard about this before. But I'm not talking about the expression here. I'm talking about the actual fruit themselves. If you think about it, you really can't. These two items are totally different from each other with both offering their own set of nutrients and flavor.

The apple belongs to the same family as the pears, peaches, loquats, strawberries and interestingly, the rose. There are many apple varieties which makes them identifiable by their color shade as well as their taste. Sweet apples are ready to be eaten as it is and while sour apples can be eaten likewise, they are mainly used for baking. Granny Smith apples are great for baking apple pies.

The orange fruit belongs to the citrus family and is either sweet, sour or bitter. While this fruit can be eaten as it is, the juices are often times extracted from the fruit to be used as a drink. Unlike the apple, the orange is not directly used for baking but rather is jellied or preserved first before being used for baking.

Now, I decided to talk about these two fruits today since I did my grocery yesterday and was in a dilemma trying to decide if I wanted to take the apples or the oranges. I like both of them but if I take both, I may end up with a few of them rotting. I always choose only one fruit a week as I have a week stomach and I didn't want to upset it by having two different ones on the same week.

So there I was scratching my head when I finally decided on bananas. Makes my life easier.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home