/* added the script below */ /* added the script above */

dead keys society

Jun's online journal of mindless rants as well as feeble attempts on short story writing and other forms of literature (if you can call it that).

Tuesday, January 17, 2006

The Finger Points

For those that work in a corporate environment, it is common knowledge that the end of the year is probably one of the busiest time of the year. This is the time when all loose ends are tied up. Hence, application systems are almost always "frozen" during this time to prevent any data issues that may arise. This had been our case too.
The first application systems' update we had happened on the 4th of January and everything went well until the business group reported some data discrepancy. My initial reaction was fear stemming from the fact that it had been only my installation that went in during that day and may have caused that. I knew my stuff were fool-proof after doing a barrage of tests and validation on them as well as user sign-offs.
So back to the drawing board I went and retraced all the data that went in and sure enough, all that needed to happen happened. There was no hole in my application update. But how do you tell that to the end-users though? The problem still exists and still has to be corrected. I ended up enlisting the help of a couple of our resident gurus who have done work on the same application and asked them to work with me step by step to a) prove that the issue was not related to the installation and b) figure out what was causing all the data discrepancy.
After series of email exchanges and phone conferences, we proved that the issue was totally unrelated to my installation. Apparently, the problem had existed even before I joined the company and the updates I did accentuates that information out like a sore thumb which I guess was good since it allows us time to make the corrections. As it stands right now, it looks more like a data issue and a series of programming logic change is in the horizon.
This experience actually removed a thorn on my side which pointed the finger away from me. However, it did put the thorn back on the other side as I still have to work on the same application to ensure data integrity.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home